1. What is a visa?

A visa is an authorization only to the holder (of the valid passport) to proceed to the Republic to report to an immigration officer at a port of entry for the purpose of being examined as to his/her ability to comply with the (entry) requirements of the Immigration Act, 2002 (Act No. 13 of 2002), as amended. Possession of a visa does not guarantee the holder automatic admission into the Republic of South Africa. 

  1. Do I need a visa when traveling to South Africa?

Certain citizens who are holders of national passports (diplomatic, official and ordinary) of foreign countries / territories / international organizations are not required to hold a visa when reporting to an immigration officer for examination at a South African port of entry.  Taiwanese nationals require a visa to enter South Africa. For any other foreign national, please check if you are required to have a visa.

  1. Do I need to submit a confirmed ticket with my application?

No, you are only required to submit a flight itinerary for your attended travel dates to South Africa. PLEASE DO NOT CONFIRM/PAY FOR YOUR TICKET BEFORE YOUR VISA IS ISSUED.

  1. I reside in Taiwan but I am not a Taiwanese citizen. I want to travel to South Africa and require a visa. Can I apply at the Liaison Office  for a visa?

Yes, however, since the application must be sent to the South African Mission accredited to your country for processing, this may take longer and the visa will only be issued upon approval from the relevant Mission.

  1. Do I need a yellow fever certificate when I travel to South Africa?


Yellow fever certificate is required only if the applicant is passing through yellow fever belt area (or has travelled to a yellow fever country previously) before entering South Africa.

Vaccination should be approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) and administered at least 10 days before departure for South Africa at any yellow fever approved vaccination centers as the vaccine offers protection 10 days after administration. If vaccination is administered less than 10 days before departure, traveler may be refused entry.


Countries Falling Within the Yellow Fever Belt:




Central and South America

  • Angola
  • Benin
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burundi
  • Cameroon
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Congo
  • Cote d'Ivoire
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Kenya
  • Liberia
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Senegal
  • Sierra Leone
  • Southern Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Togo
  • Uganda


íP        Argentina

íP        Bolivia

íP        Brazil

íP        Colombia

íP        Ecuador

íP        French Guyana

íP        Guyana

íP        Trinidad and Tobago

íP        Panama

íP        Paraguay

íP        Peru

íP        Surinam

íP        Venezuela



  1. What documents do I require when applying for a visa?

Foreigners who wish to visit South Africa must have valid passports / travel documents valid for thirty (30) more days after the intended return date from South Africa.  The passport must contain at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; One page is for affixing the visa or permit at the Embassy/Consulate and the other page is for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Note: Visa pages referred to above do not include pages reserved for Endorsements, Amendments or Observations.

  1. Can a visa be issued for an internship?

No. The Immigration Act, as amended, makes no provisions for foreigners to undertake internships at companies and organizations in the Republic of South Africa. Therefore, visas may not be issued to such foreigners; including foreign students whose studies prescribe an internship.

  1. What visa is needed to conduct short term or urgent work?

All foreigners who intend to conduct short term or urgent work in the Republic of South Africa, including, but not limited, to service technicians, trainers / instructors and film crews, for a period not exceeding three (3) months must hold authorization to conduct work in terms of section 11(2), which must be applied for and issued at a South African foreign embassy, before traveling to the Republic of South Africa.

  • Section 11(2) authorization to conduct work on a visitoríŽs visa
  • Service technicians (installation, repair and maintenance work)
  • Commercial stills and film producing industry
  1. When Applying for a child passport,  must I present my child when applying
  • Yes, for security reason, the child must be present on submission of the application at the Liaison Office
  1. Must both parents be present
  • Yes, both parents must be present, however, for exceptional cases where it is impossible for one parent to attend, the Liaison Office will require an affidavit from the absent parent with detailed motivation for absence as well as giving the other parent permission to apply for the child passport.